14 Very Short Answer Viva Questions on Grinding
1. Define Grinding
A process of material removal in the form of small chips by means of rotating abrasive particles bonded together in a grinding wheel to produce flat, cylindrical or other surfaces is known as grinding.
2. Define Grinding Wheel
A wheel composed of hard and sharp edged abrasive grains held together by a bonding material and is used to finish within close tolerances on various surfaces by its abrasive action is known as grinding wheel.
3. Define Grinding Machine.
The machine tool designed for finishing within close tolerances to the flat, cylindrical or other surfaces by the abrasive action of a rotating wheel is called a grinding machine or simply grinder.
4. Name the elements which are considered in the construction of a grinding wheel.
Six important elements which are considered in the construction of a grinding wheel are as follows:
- Grain Size
- Bond and bonding material
- Wheel shape
5. Define abrasives used in grinding wheels.
Abrasives used for making grinding wheels may be classified as follows:
- Natural abrasives
- Artificial abrasives
6. Name some natural abrasives.
The commonly used natural abrasives are as follows:
- Sand stone or quartz
7. Name some artificial abrasives.
- Silicon carbide
- Aluminium Carbide
8. Define grain size in connection with grinding wheel.
The abrasives are produces by grind mills. The size of grains produced by this process is called grain size.
9. Define bond in connection with grinding wheel.
A bond is an adhesive material employed for holding abrasive grains together and giving the desired shape to grinding wheel.
10. Define grade in connection with grinding wheel.
The grade is also called the hardness of the wheel. It designates the force which hold the grains.
11. Name different types of grinding wheels.
- Built-up wheels
- Cone and plug shape wheels
- Mounted wheels
- Diamond wheels
12. Define truing of grinding wheels.
Truing is the process of changing the shape of grinding wheel from the original shape when it becomes worn due to breaking of abrasive and bond.
13. Define dressing of grinding wheels.
Dressing may be defined as the operation of sharpening dull abrasive grains or exposing fresh sharp grains on the face by cutting a portion of the wheel.
14. Define glazing of grinding wheels.
With continuous use, the sharp abrasive grains become ground and the grinding wheel become dull. This condition of a dull grinding wheel with worn out grains is termed as glazing.